Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wednesday's Assignment

Have you ever seen a painting that you thought you understood at first and then you start wondering about it? How about an artist that changes his style so you can never quite figure him out?
lwk-maze.jpg
What do you think of this famous painting? What does it look like to you? A skull, maybe? What's the name of the artist? What do you think his life was like? What else did he draw?
Here are your tasks:
  1. Listen to this lesson. What do we say when we hear a compliment? Take notes.
  2. Take dictation from this video's 00:18 - 00:41 about Kurelek’s painting in the UK's Maudsley and Netherne psychiatric hospitals. Check your transcript with a partner before posting.
  3. Compare Kurelek’s paintings in Gallery 1 and Gallery 2
    1. Can you think of some compliments for each?
    2. Make some sincere and insincere compliments and tell a partner.
TRANSCRIPT TO NO. 2, COURTESY OF JANICE AND ALI (and Joseph):

The Maze

The maze is a painting of the inside of my skull which I painted when I was in England as a patient in mostly Netherne psychiatric hospitals.  It is a story of my life, well in a sense that people tell stories by the fireplace to entertain guests trying to make them accept you. In this case, I wanted to be accepted as an interesting specimen.
One thing that increasingly struck me was his own pent up, violent feelings. His looks are completely lost.  In fact, I’ve never seen anyone really quite as lost as he was. I had this feeling of unreality. I still believe and believe then I wasn’t mental in a sense that I had lost control of myself, I was lead by interior forces.

Joseph's transcript of 00:18 - 00:41

The Maze is a painting of the inside of my skull, which I painted when I was in England as a patient in Maudsley and Netherne psychiatric hospitals. It is a story of my life, well, in a sense of people tell stories by the fireplace to entertain their guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Answer key to editing checklist appetizer

  Int excel